Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Evil of Cute

"You're so cute, I could just eat you!"  Thank God they never did.  What is it about cuteness, though, that inspires threats of pinching, twisting, squeezing, and biting?  In short, why does cuteness foment violence?
We can begin by agreeing that these violent impulses are not consciously thought about, rationalized, or planned out.  Rather, they are automatic and sub/unconscious, akin to laughing or blushing (albeit, much more sinister).  So where do they come from?  Let's briefly turn to them kooky psychoanalysts: Freud & and friends.
You may reply to this by saying: "Hey!  I ain't no mother-lovin' psycho because I pinch when I baby talk".  Not so fast, crazy.  Freud said that pain inflicted and received in love is sadomasochism.  To paraphrase: Freud believed that sadomasochists inflict pain on others to express love.
So why does Auntie S&M get pleasure out of expressing her love by inflicting pain on me?  Well, according to Freud, sex is naturally rough stuff.   Sadism is that sexual aggression that's gotten out of hand.  If you you're familiar with good ol' Sigmund you've probably noticed that love and violence go hand in hand for him.  Sadism is when the violent part starts flying off the handle.
Since I could go on for much longer than good taste will allow I'm going to end it here.  Am I serious about all of this baby-talk-pinchy-squeezey-s&m?  I don't remember. However, it does get me thinking.
We may not all have OCD but we all have some obsessive compulsions.  We may not be schizophrenic, but a good self-esteem requires some delusions.  We may not all be into S&M bondage, but at times we may mistake our aggression for affection.
It becomes clear that there are not two distinct groups of "crazy" and "sane".  Rather, there is a mental health continuum and we all dot it from one end to the other.  Where does the crazy start and sane end?  I hope not at the whim of social caprice...but I am pessimistic.  

What I listened to while typing: Flying Lotus - Nose Art

No comments:

Post a Comment