Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Splice


Nothing, nothing, nothing (the kind of the nothing that exists out from under the blanket of the universe) followed by four, seven, nine, six, four, eight, three. I was in the middle of mouthing the phone number written on my chest.

Several years later, while traipsing the aisles of a Whole Foods with my wife, I realized I had been sleepwalking. I still don't know how I overlooked the gaping memory blind spot of how I ended up standing naked in front of a mirror in a friend's dark bathroom for so long. When I woke up, my eyes were already focused on the digits clearly written over my heart, my lips were in the middle of forming the numbers.

I quickly scanned through the events of the night, slowing at the highlights that would become long term memories.

The girls skipping down the brick street.
A waiter dancing on the table.
A misunderstanding with a taxi driver.

The number on my chest in the mirror wasn't in my handwriting. It was written in a deep black with beautiful curves and dangerous angles.

Dancing in a Chinatown basement.
Southern Comfort.
Rain.
I walked her home.
The ballpoint tickling my palm.

I looked at the number on my chest in the mirror. I could read it. I looked down at my chest. The number was backwards. I looked at my right palm.

I placed my hand over my heart as if I were reciting a bizarre pledge of allegiance. The numbers fit perfectly. The alcohol induced sweat transferred the number from my hand to my heart.


What I listened to while typing:  Son House - Death Letter Blues/John the Revelator

2 comments:

  1. um, that was really impressive. For it being so short I was able to visualize alot!

    ReplyDelete